Tuesday, October 8, 2013

GG's Scalloped Potatoes...a likely candidate for Thanksgiving Dinner

These are yummy.  I cooked using a 9x6 Pyrex dish.  Then I cut it down the middle and then four rows to get the 8 servings.  These are large servings and I would have been very satisfied with 1/2 of the serving and 1/2 is only 2 PPV.  I think one of the key ingredients is the Gruyere cheese.  The original recipe called for 1 cup but in my recipe I wanted to know how much I could use without changing the PPV.    I also used Fat Free milk because that is my favorite but the recipe calls for 1%.  I sliced my potatoes thin but not paper thin.  When I layered it was deeper than the slight overlap indicated in the recipe.  Enjoy!


GG's Classic Scalloped Potatoes
Adapted from Weight Watchers cookbook, Best Darn Food Ever!

 5   PointsPlus Value

Serves: 8

Ingredients
1/2 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 Tbsp white all-purpose flour
1 tsp table salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2 pound(s) uncooked Yukon gold potato(es), peeled and thinly sliced
2 cup(s) fat free skim milk
7 oz Gruyère cheese, shredded  (You want a cup of shredded cheese and you can use up to 7 oz and still be 5 PPV for the recipe.)
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray 2-quart baking dish or shallow casserole dish with nonstick spray.
2. Whisk together broth and flour in medium saucepan until smooth. Add milk, salt, pepper, and nutmeg., whisking until smooth. Bring sauce to boil, whisking constantly until slightly thickened; remove saucepan from heat.
3. Arrange half of potatoes in prepared baking dish, slightly overlapping slices. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup o f Gruyere; arrange remaining potatoes on top. Pour white sauce evenly over potatoes.
4. Bake 25 minutes. Pull out of the oven and press down on potatoes with spatula to completely submerge potatoes in sauce; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese. Bake until potatoes are tender and top is browned, about 20 minutes longer. Let stand about 20 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment